Houston Grad Chris Shepherd Gives Back with $30K Culinary Scholarship
In 2014, The Art Institute of Houston graduate Chef Chris Shepherd created the “Underbelly Scholarship Award,” a scholarship to assist a hard-working and dedicated culinary student at The Art Institute of Houston. Shepherd, who in 1996 earned an Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts from the school, is now chef and owner of Underbelly and Hay Merchant Restaurants in Houston, Texas, and is a winner of the prestigious James Beard Foundation Award.
This year’s $30,000 scholarship award was recently presented to student Dominick Lee, who is working toward a Bachelor of Science in Culinary Management at The Art Institute of Houston. Lee is also an executive sous chef at Kiran’s Restaurant in Houston.
Shepherd created the scholarship to award a student who has gone above and beyond in his or her desire to become a chef. Shepherd completed his education while working a 40 hour a week job. To earn the scholarship, a student:
· Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better, with no disciplinary issues
· Must have completed at least two quarters to establish an employment record and CGPA
· Must have maintained an average of at least 40 hours per week of employment in a food service establishment (kitchen production) for the entire period of enrollment at The Art Institute. The Chef at the student’s place of employment must complete a monthly form verifying that employment for the preceding month continues to meet the above requirements
· Must have successfully completed at least 12 hours per quarter since enrolling at The Art Institute
· Must continue to work and earn credits as described above for the entire period covered by the Scholarship.
· Must complete the standard Education Foundation application and written essay
Learn more about Chef Chris Shepherd by visiting his Underbelly website: http://www.underbellyhouston.com/team/chris-shepherd/
Learn more about our programs.Get Brochure