Graphic &Web Design
I'm ready to prove myself.
Nobody has to tell you that visual communication is becoming more and more interactive. And as the lines between graphic design and web design become less defined, employers are starting to look for both graphic designers with interactive skills and web developers with solid design skills. If you’re considering either direction, our Graphic & Web Design degree programs is the place to start. We’ll guide you through the fundamentals of visual communications in both disciplines. Then you’ll choose either a print or interactive concentration as you begin to work toward a future where you can do what you love. You’ll be surrounded and inspired by other talented, creatively driven students. And you’ll be and pushed, challenged, and, above all else, supported by experienced faculty* who know what it takes to succeed in the real world.
*Credentials and experience levels vary by faculty & instructors.
Associate of Applied Science in Graphic Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic & Web Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic & Web Design
- Graduates demonstrate versatile aesthetic layout and design solutions, including effective usage of space, line, color, shape, texture, form, balance and value; typographic and photographic hierarchy structures.
- Graduates demonstrate conceptual thinking through work that reflects historical and contemporary trends, answering design problems with creative visual and writing elements.
- Graduates demonstrate the interdependence of content and visual expression; evaluate and critique their design concept; articulate the vision behind their creative work, and defend their creative solutions.
- Graduates articulate their design direction by communicating mastery of graphic and web design, problem solving, ethics and industry standards in visual presentations.
Graphic Design Concentration Specific Objectives:
- Graduates demonstrate and apply competencies in industry-specific computer software. These include preparation and presentation of work, technical aspects of prepress, output, and quality reproduction as well as web design.
Web Design Concentration Specific Objectives:
- Graduates demonstrate knowledge of interactive design & development using industry software, authoring systems and/or web scripting.
I have the talent and the intensity. I just need the tools.
Both graphic design and web design are really about coming up with new approaches to solve problems. So you’ll start with the basics of both in areas like color, illustration, and image manipulation, then explore concept development and implementation courses. After your first year, you’ll choose a concentration. In Graphic Design, you’ll take a more traditional approach, studying product packaging, posters, art direction, and layout design. You’ll work on product packaging, posters, and interactive media, including web page design. You’ll work with professional technology, including image manipulation software and computer-aided design, then progress to art direction and strategies for designing a product, service, or message. If you choose Web Design, you’ll work across media platforms from mobile devices to desktop computers. This is screen-based visual communication involving interactive design and development using industry software, authoring systems and web scripting. You’ll explore emerging technology, work with audio and video, and more.
What Will I Study?
I'm a visual problem solver. Let's get started.
The curriculum for each concentration is hands-on, rigorous, and well-rounded. It was designed by experienced industry and education innovators to emphasize the skills you’ll need to start you career. Beginning with common classes, then exploring concentration-specific areas, you'll study:SHARED COURSES:
- Color & Design Fundamentals
- Image Manipulation
- Traditional Typography
- Layout & Concept Design
- Web Page Scripting
- Digital Illustration
- Interactive Motion Graphics
- Advertising Concepts
- Form and Space, including Advanced Layout Design
- Package Design
- Business of Graphic Design
- Publication Design
- Art Direction
- Information Architecture
- Interface Design
- Audio & Video
- Design for Mobile Devices & Emerging Technologies
- Web Page Design
I'm looking for my proving ground.
At The Art Institutes system of schools, creativity is our core, our calling, our culture. Our Graphic & Web Design degree programs are built on that creative foundation. It’s also built on our knowledge that a creative career is not for the faint of heart. Because it’s tough out there, it’s tough in here. But we temper the tough with the support you need to make your creativity marketable. We provide the mentoring and real-world experience you need to prevail, with faculty* who’ve worked in the field and internship possibilities at successful businesses. Here, you’ll be encouraged and expected to be bold. To take risks. To push yourself and the people around you. So if your heart is telling you that you belong in a creative field, you belong here. It’s the hardest thing you’ll ever love.
*Credentials and experience levels vary by faculty and instructors.
Nobody is going to make it easier or harder for you. Success comes from within. You must push yourself. Adam Halberg
Culinary Arts, The Art Institute of Atlanta, 2000