Course ListingFashion Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Published June 1, 2016
Student Learning Outcomes
See ge.artinstitutes.edu/programoffering/231 for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, salary data, alumni success, and other important info.
1. Design: Graduates integrate the art of fashion design with the knowledge of materials and apparel production.
2. Production Skills: Graduates integrate textile knowledge and process skills in the production of garments from concept development to finished product.
3. Planning and Problem-Solving: Graduates demonstrate an ability to analyze, formulate and implement innovative solutions related to designing and producing garments. They demonstrate the ability to deal with problems of supply, the logistics of large-scale production, as well as how do deal with problems in individual fittings and how to adapt patterns for different fabrics.
4. Technology: Graduates effectively employ industry software and equipment to design and produce garments and produce garment technical packages.
5. Context and Critical Thinking: Graduates evaluate interconnections of historical perspectives, global events, forecasting, design, and color to create products relevant to fashion industry business trends.
6. Professionalism: Graduates exemplify professional standards, ethics, and business concepts.
7. Communication: Graduates display the ability to professionally communicate their ideas visually and verbally.
Program CoursesCore Courses
FADB101 Elements of Garment Construction
FADB102 Fashion Illustration
FADB103 Textile Fundamentals
FADB111 Survey of the Fashion Design Industry
FADB201 Advanced Construction
FADB202 Technical Drawing
FADB208 Trends & Forecasting
FADB213 Advanced Patternmaking
FADB217 Modern History of Fashion
FADB223 Computer Patternmaking
FADB233 Draping & Fit Analysis
FADB308 Fundamentals of Business
FADB312 Sourcing & Technical Design
FADB313 Computer Production Systems
FADB322 Senior Collection Concept
FADB332 Surface Design
FADB402 Digital Textile Design
FADB403 Senior Collection Technical
FADB409 Portfolio I
FADB413 Senior Collection Production
FADB419 Portfolio II
FMMB103 Survey of Manufacturing & Product Development
2 Fashion Design electives (8 credit hours), chosen from the following
FD311 Design Specialties
FD231 Specialized Areas in Design
FADB243 Specialized Sewing Techniques
FMMB203 Event & Fashion Show Production
FND105 Design Fundamentals
FND110 Observational Drawing
FND135 Image Manipulation
FND150 Digital Color Theory
GWDB103 Digital Illustration
General Educataion Courses
GEN101 English I
GEN102 English II
GEN105 Effective Speaking
GEN150 Mathematical Concepts and Connections
GEN399 General Education Capstone
Fine Arts - GEN205-GEN212
Humanities & Fine Arts 200-Level Elective
Humanities & Fine Arts 300-Level Elective
Life Science 200-Level Elective
Life Science 200-Level Elective
Physical or Life Science 300-Level Elective
Social Science 200-Level Elective
Social Science 300-Level Elective
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION 180
Note: The Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago reserves the right to alter the sequencing of classes. Some courses are offered on a rotating basis. Students should consult their Academic Advisors and/or Department Chair when creating their course schedules to ensure they are following the recommended sequence. Students must meet all co/prerequisites for courses.