Course ListingDigital Photography
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Published June 1, 2016
Student Learning Outcomes
See ge.artinstitutes.edu/programoffering/2188 for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, salary data, alumni success, and other important info.
1. Communication: Graduates use written, oral, and visual communication skills to convey ideas effectively to employers, colleagues, and clients. They communicate complex concepts to non-professionals.
2. Visual Communication: Graduates develop a style and vision conveying a personal point of view using problem solving processes that integrate extraordinary print quality and skillful judgment of aesthetic value.
3. Critical Thinking: Graduates assess the historical and social impact of photography and evaluate how their photographs fit within this context.
4. Lighting: Graduates exhibit technical excellence in lighting and demonstrate inclusion or exclusion of ambient light sources, placement of main light source, degree of diffusion, control of overall lighting contrast, and separation of subject and background.
5. Production Processes: Graduates apply technical skills and use appropriate terminology with respect to photographic tools, lighting techniques, color management, and the storage and electronic presentation of images.
6. Business: Graduates conceptualize, plan, and implement marketing strategies to create a successful business model.
7. Professional Presentation: Graduates produce a portfolio of original work for current media and multiple platforms, integrating industry standards, personal interest, and career specialization.
Program CoursesCore Courses
PHOB101 Principles of Photography
PHOB102 Introduction to Photography Applications
PHOB103 Digital Image Management
PHOB112 Photographic Design
PHOB115 History of Photography
PHOB122 View Camera Theory
PHOB123 Color Management & Printing
PHOB202 Studio Photography
PHOB203 Photographic Post-Production
PHOB205 Advertising / Art Direction
PHOB208 Business of Photography
PHOB209 Portfolio I
PHOB213 Time-Based Media I
PHOB222 Web Design for Non-Majors
PHOB223 Advanced Lighting
PHOB233 Advanced Photographic Post-Production
PHOB242 Editorial Photography
PHOB302 Location Photography
PHOB303 Time-Based Media II
PHOB307 Photographic Essay
PHOB317 Photography Criticism
PHOB408 Photography Marketing & Portfolio Package
PHOB419 Portfolio II
DPH340 Special Topics
FND110 Observational Drawing
FND135 Image Manipulation
FND150 Digital Color Theory
General Education Courses
GEN101 English I
GEN102 English II
GEN105 Effective Speaking
GEN150 Mathematical Concepts and Connections
GEN399 General Education Capstone
Fine Arts - GEN205-GEN212
Humanities & Fine Arts 200-Level Elective
Humanities & Fine Arts 300-Level Elective
Life Science 200-Level Elective
Physical or Life Science 200-Level Elective
Physical & Life Science 300-Level Elective
Social Science 200-Level Elective
Social Science 300-Level Elective
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION 180
Note: The Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago reserves the right to alter the sequencing of classes. Some courses are offered on a rotating basis. Students should consult their Academic Advisors and/or Department Chair when creating their course schedules to ensure they are following the recommended sequence. Students must meet all co/prerequisites for courses.