Baking & Pastry
Course ListingBaking & Pastry
Published June 1, 2016
Student Learning Outcomes
See ge.artinstitutes.edu/programoffering/3333 for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, salary data, alumni success, and other important info
- Establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures
- Prepare standardized recipes using a variety of cooking, baking and pastry techniques as well as appropriate equipment and tools.
- Produce various baked goods and a variety of international and classical pastries and desserts using basic as well as advanced techniques, which meet industry quality standards.
- Design, produce, assemble and decorate display and wedding cakes using various finishing methods which meet industry quality standards.
- Seek employment in retail, commercial and institutional food service settings in entry-level job positions.
Program CoursesPROGRAM COURSES
CUL107 Concepts & Theories of Culinary Techniques
CUL110 Fundamentals of Classical Techniques
CUL115 American Regional Cuisine
CUL128 Introduction to Pastry Techniques & Dessert Artistry
CUL206 Sustainable Purchasing & Controlling Costs
CUL218 Management, Supervision, & Career Development
CUL222 Latin Cuisine
CUL241 Artisan Breads & Baking Production
CUL242 European Cakes & Tortes
CUL251 Advanced Patisserie & Display Cakes
CUL271 Chocolate, Confections & Centerpieces
Credits Required 51
LIBERAL STUDIES COURSES
SCI156 Nutritional Science
Credits Required 4
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION 55
Note: The Art Institute of Las Vegas reserves the right to alter the sequencing of classes. Some courses are offered on a rotating basis. Students should consult their Academic Advisors and/or Department Chair when creating their course schedules to ensure they are following the recommended sequence. Students must meet all co/prerequisites for courses.