Military Veteran Educational Benefits - What You Need to Know

By: Tim Clay | Military Veteran, BS Audio Production Student

October 3, 2017

Military Benefits Blog
Image by MIU student Eli Bardowell, Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Effects & Motion Graphics

Here at Miami International University of Art & Design, we pride ourselves in providing advising and support services to those who have served this great country.  We also have veteran students volunteering within the University’s Military Resource Center and the Military Veterans Club. No matter your situation, there are always individuals on campus that will provide guidance and support. 
Before highlighting key elements of veteran education benefits, let’s review some essential steps you can take prior to speaking with a Veterans Affairs (VA) school certifying official here at the University.

Luisa Galecio, a VA school certifying official, provides us with some tips to make the process easier:

1.    Complete the online GI Bill application VA FORM 22-1990 when applying for benefits.
2.    Have required documents: DD 214 and Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
3.    Request your official military transcript in advance at for all branches except the Air Force or at Air University (AU) for the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).  
4.    Transfer students need to re-apply and request for change of program or place of training VA FORM 22-1995.

“Following these tips will help simplify your admissions application and make the process easier,” shares Galecio.

In accordance with the most recent information on regarding veteran education benefits, if you’re a military veteran who qualifies for Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®, you may receive 100% coverage of your tuition and fees which is paid directly to your school. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and stipends for books and school supplies. Keep in mind, you do not have to be a military veteran to use the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®. Unused benefits may be transferred to spouses and dependents. If you’re using veteran education benefits, you may also apply for Federal financial aid at this site for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid is available to those who qualify.  

In addition to using veteran education benefits, you may qualify for a VA work-study position at the University or at a VA approved site. Vanessa D'Oliveira, the Student Affairs Coordinator at the University shared that, “Veteran students who choose to hold a position as a VA work-study can build relationships, learn new skills, as well as receive recommendations for future jobs.” You can find more information regarding the VA work-study program at from the following link - 
Work Study.

Transitioning from active duty military to college can sometimes be overwhelming. At the University, the staff will help you adjust on your new mission towards earning a college degree. If you have any further questions regarding VA Educational Benefits or Federal financial aid, never hesitate to contact the Admissions and Student Financial Services representatives at the following phone number 800.225.9032 or contacting the Vet Club by email at  

Learn more about our programs.

Get Brochure

By: Tim Clay | Military Veteran, BS Audio Production Student

October 3, 2017