MIU Faculty Member Talks Royally Fascinating Fashion
May 18, 2018
Fascinators, the small sized small head pieces, are a must for a Royal Wedding. They are not referred to as a hat because it can be attached to headbands, combs or clips. The small accessory is generally worn on the right side of the head, but there is flexibility if that is not your "good side." The fascinator should match the dress and the size should be reflective of the person wearing it – if a woman is on the petite side, then the hat should not overpower. It is meant as an accessory, not to make a bold statement. Below is additional fashion etiquette to keep in mind.
Do's and Don'ts of Dressing for a Royal Wedding
- Don't try to outshine the bride.
- Do wear a hat or fascinator, especially for women. Guidelines for the hats include keeping them on inside the church, they must fit properly and not require fiddling during the ceremony, fascinators, small headpieces are always appropriate. In fact, saucer-sized hats (like the Kentucky Derby) or hats with large brims are not acceptable as they have the potential to block the view of the people sitting behind you and are considered rude.
- Hemlines should not be shorter than the longest finger when arms are held at the side, not longer than mid-calf.
- No bare shoulders (or cleavage).
- Do wear a small handbag or clutches only.
- Do wear hosiery; it is a must as bare legs are frowned upon.
- Wear formal shoes (no open toes, no wedges, no slingbacks); heels should be no higher than 4 inches.
- Don't wear white, as it is reserved for the bride, although white accents and colors are fine.
- Don't wear anything with sequins or anything resembling a tiara.
The most important thing to keep in mind is to keep it conservative, classy and understated.
Miami International University of Art & Design is located near the heart of the arts district offering degree programs in the areas of Fashion Design, Fashion Merchandising, Visual & Entertainment Arts, Photography, Interior Design, Graphic Design, Visual Effects & Motion Graphics, Computer Animation, and Film & Digital Production. We also offer a Master of Arts degree program in Design & Media Management and a Master of Fine Arts degree program in Visual Arts.
For more information on Miami International University of Art & Design, visit us at www.mymiu.com. Miami International University of Art & Design is one of The Art Institutes, a system of non-profit schools throughout the United States. Programs, credential levels, technology, and scheduling options vary by school and are subject to change. Not all online programs are available to residents of all U.S. states. Some institutions in The Art Institutes system are campuses of Argosy University. Miami International University of Art & Design, 1501 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132 © 2018. The Art Institutes. All rights reserved. Our email address is email@example.com.
Licensed by the Florida Commission for Independent Education, License No. 1287.
Learn more about our programs.Get Brochure