Online Media Arts & Animation BS degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.0 or higher, or hold a General Education Development GED Certificate, or associate's degree or higher.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please click here.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Animate, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Antivirus Software (Latest Version)
- Skype (Recommended)
- ToonBoom Custom EDMC Package
- Autodesk 3ds Max and/or Maya (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk Mudbox (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk MotionBuilder (Version 2015 or higher)
- Unreal 4 (optional)
- Unity (optional)
- Audacity (Latest version)
- Pixologic Zbrush 4R6 (optional)
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum technology requirements
- PC users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel Core® i5 3GHz minimum (i7 3.4 GHz recommended) with 64-bit support; Windows 7 Professional with SP 1 (64-bit) or higher; 8GB RAM (16GB recommended); 30 GB hard disk space recommended; 1280 x 800 minimum display resolution (1920 x 1080 recommended) with 16-bit color; 1 GB VRAM; OpenGL 2.0–capable system; Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft WDM//MME Direct3D 11 technology, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL-capable graphics card; Stereo Sound card, speakers, and/or headset; Video card with one of the following options: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 (recommended) or NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 or GTX 960 (recommended) or Intel HD Graphics 4000 or 5000, or Intel Iris Graphics, or NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, 620, or 720.
- Mac: AutoDesk (industry-standard software) no longer provides support for Mac computers in Dual-Boot. Therefore, Macintosh computers are not recommended for the program. Note: Students who began the program before September 1, 2017, are grandfathered in but should be aware of this change in AutoDesk support.
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Media Arts & Animation program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome are supported.
- Digital Drawing Tablet: http://www.journeyed.com/item/Wacom/Intuos+Tablets/1564924
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera
- Mouse or Trackball
- Drawing Supplies
- Internet speed: DSL or cable Internet highly recommended