Online Game Art & Design BS degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division Game Art & Design BS degree program, students must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Have a final high school CGPA of 2.5 or higher or hold a General Education Development certificate (GED) with the numeric score equivalent to at least a 2.5 GPA under previous GED equivalencies or at a minimal score of 500 under current GED equivalencies with no single test below a 410 score.
- Meet the standard Art Institutes admission criteria.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Animate, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Antivirus Software (Latest Version)
- Skype (Recommended)
- ToonBoom Custom EDMC Package
- Autodesk 3ds Max and/or Maya (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk Mudbox (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk MotionBuilder (Version 2015 or higher)
- Unreal 4
- Audacity (Latest version)
- Pixologic Zbrush 4R6 (optional)
- PC users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel Core® i5 3GHz minimum (i7 3.4 GHz recommended) with 64-bit support; Windows 7 Professional with SP 1 (64-bit) or higher; 8GB RAM (16GB recommended); 30 GB hard disk space recommended; 1280 x 800 minimum display resolution (1920 x 1080 recommended) with 16-bit color; 1 GB VRAM; OpenGL 2.0–capable system; Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft WDM//MME Direct3D 11 technology, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL-capable graphics card; Stereo Sound card, speakers, and/or headset; Video card with one of the following options: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 (recommended) or NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 or GTX 960 (recommended) or Intel HD Graphics 4000 or 5000, or Intel Iris Graphics, or NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, 620, or 720.
- Mac: AutoDesk (industry-standard software) no longer provides support for Mac computers in Dual-Boot. Therefore, Macintosh computers are not recommended for the program. Note: Students who began the program before September 1, 2017, are grandfathered in but should be aware of this change in AutoDesk support.
- Digital Drawing Tablet
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera
- Mouse or Trackball
- Drawing Supplies
- Internet speed: DSL or cable Internet highly recommended
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please click here.
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum technology requirements
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Game Art & Design program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome are supported.