Online Digital Photography BS degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.0 or higher, or hold a General Education Development GED Certificate, or associate's degree or higher.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division Digital Photography program is designed to allow students to build their equipment suite piece by piece. The first photography course in the Bachelor of Science degree program, PHOA102 Introduction to Photography Applications, only requires Adobe production software and any device that can shoot an 8 megabyte photograph and upload to your computer. The first shooting course, PHOA101 Principles of Digital Photography is where a student makes their first major investment in a High Definition SLR Camera, lenses and other accessories. Later in the program an Ambient and Flash Meter is used in PHOA112 and a professional studio strobe kit is needed for PHOA113 Lighting; an additional studio strobe is needed in PHOA202 Studio Photography, and then a third strobe is used in PHOA223 Advanced Lighting. Additional smaller investments in a photo-quality printer, backgrounds, an on-camera flash, and color calibrator will be needed at other points in the program.
By the time a student graduates they will have invested in the equipment they need to set-up his/her own photography business - a practical investment in their future. Each graduate is ready to set up his/her own studio or work in a studio, because by the time he/she completes the program he/she will own and have worked with a professional camera, 3 – strobe lighting kit, printer, flash, color calibrator, and other studio accessories.
List of Materials and Equipment Required for the Digital Photography program
While the total cost will differ for each person, incoming Digital Photography students can expect to invest at approximately $3,100 to $13,000 throughout the duration of this program. These costs are associated with each student acquiring the professional equipment necessary to engage in the primary activities as a professional in the industry; the range is due to the various levels of quality from the minimum required to a higher level.
- HDSLR (High-definition Digital Single-Lens Reflex Camera) with interchangeable lenses, 10 megapixel or higher sensor resolution, capable of recording HD video (Many cameras that are labeled DSLR cameras also meet the concept of an "HDSLR".)
- Memory Card(s)
- Backup Batteries
- Camera lenses with 18-200mm focal length range
- Camera Bag (Optional)
- Medium Sized Tripod - Must be able to firmly secure a SLR Camera + Flash
- Monopod (Optional)
- On-camera flash (Hot Shoe Flash)
- 3 Monolights (Studio Strobes) with radio slaves
- Ambient/Flash Meter
- Light Modifiers (umbrellas, softboxes)
- Light Stands
- Gray Card
- Lavalier Microphone
- External Digital Recorder
- Neutral Density Filters
- LED HOT-Shoe Mount Light
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Animate, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Antivirus Software (Latest Version)
- Skype (Recommended)
- Techsmith SnagIt, Jing, or other screen capture software
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum Technology Requirements
- PC:Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required, Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended), 20 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended), 1 MB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system. 7200 RPM or faster hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended. QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features.
- Mac: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support, *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, or v10.9, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended), 30 GB available hard disk space recommended,1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended), 1 GB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system.7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended.
*Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud.
Additional Required Hardware
- Photo Printer - capable of handling 8.5 x 11 Photo Paper, and minimum of 6+ separate ink cartridges to ensure sufficient range of color representation in printing
- Color Management System (Xrite ColorMunki Photo)
A broadband connection allowing download speed of 2 Mbps and an upload speed of 1 Mbps is required.
Web Browser Requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Visit Journey Ed, America's leading seller of hardware and software to students. Select from a wide variety of software programs and purchase all of your required software online - at a student discount.
Note: All Courses use the latest version of the software packages required.
While our students may use any resource to get the required equipment for the Digital Photography program, The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division has selected B&H Photo & Video &trade as our recommended vendor for equipment purchasing.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division has done this to make the process easier, and provide our students with a single point of contact.
If students decide to use B&H Photo & Video to acquire their equipment, they should expect an B&H Photo & Video Educational Sales Representative to assist them in selection of the best equipment based on spec requirements and budget. Students may also access the B&H Photo & Video student portal and use the search functions to assist in product selection.
A student discount rate is available for those students who are currently enrolled in one video or photo program.
Students must select the "Become a Member" option and complete a simple verification form. Proof of enrollment is required. Once verified, students will be a member for one year and will be eligible for all student discount rates on purchases during that time period.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division will work directly with B&H Photo & Video during the student verification process to ensure a timely response.
Students should access the following B&H Photo & Video link to become a member: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/eduRootPage.jsp?edu
Customer Service: 800-221-7543 or 212-939-7765 Product Questions: 866-276-1435