Online Studio Photography certificate requirements
For full admissions requirements, please see the Academic Catalog.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please click here.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division photography program is designed to allow students to build their equipment suite piece by piece. The first photography course in the Digital Workflow Certificate program, PHOA102 Introduction to Photography Applications, only requires Adobe production software and any device that can shoot an 8 megabyte photograph and upload to your computer. The first shooting course, PHOA101 Principles of Digital Photography is where a student makes their first major investment in a High Definition SLR Camera, lenses and other accessories. Later in the program an Ambient and Flash Meter is used in PHOA112 and a professional studio strobe kit is needed for PHOA113 Lighting. Additional smaller investments in a photo-quality printer, backgrounds, an on-camera flash, and color calibrator will be needed at other points in the program.
By the time a student graduates they will have invested in the equipment they need to set-up his/her own photography business - a practical investment in their future. Each graduate is ready to set up his/her own studio or work in a studio, because by the time he/she completes the program he/she will own and have worked with a professional camera, 3 – strobe lighting kit, printer, flash, color calibrator, and other studio accessories.
List of Materials and Equipment Required for the Photography program
While the total cost will differ for each person, incoming Photography students can expect to invest at approximately $2,000 to $5,000 throughout the duration of this program. These costs are associated with each student acquiring the professional equipment necessary to engage in the primary activities as a professional in the industry; the range is due to the various levels of quality from the minimum required to a higher level.
- HDSLR (High-definition Digital Single-Lens Reflex camera) with interchangeable lenses, 10 megapixel or higher sensor resolution, capable of recording HD video (Many cameras that are labeled DSLR cameras also meet the concept of an "HDSLR." The distinction is based on whether a camera shoots HD video or not. This can be 1920 by 1080 or it can be 1280 by 720 -- either format will be fine. The camera must be able to record video and sound.)
- Memory Card(s)
- Backup Batteries
- Camera lenses with 18-200 mm focal length range
- Camera Bag (Optional)
- Medium Sized Tripod - Must be able to firmly secure a SLR Camera + Flash
- Monopod (Optional)
- On-camera flash (Hot Shoe Flash)
- 3 Monolights (Studio Strobes) with radio slaves
- Ambient/Flash Meter
- Light Modifiers (umbrellas, softboxes)
- Light Stands
- Gray Card
- Lavalier Microphone
- External Digital Recorder
- Neutral Density Filters
- LED HOT-Shoe Mount Light
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Animate, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Antivirus Software (Latest Version)
- Skype (Recommended)
- Techsmith SnagIt, Jing, or other screen capture software
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum technology requirements
- PC:Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required, Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended), 20 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended), 7200 RPM or faster hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended); Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model 1 MB VRAM,and OpenGL 2.0–capable system.
- Mac: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support, *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, v10.8, or v10.9, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended), 30 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended), 7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended), QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features; 1 GB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system.
*Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud.
Additional required hardware
- Photo Printer - capable of handling 8.5 x 11 Photo Paper, and minimum of 6+ separate ink cartridges to ensure sufficient range of color representation in printing
- Color Management System (Xrite ColorMunki Photo)
A connection allowing download speed of 2 Mbps and an upload speed of 1 Mbps is required.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Visit Journey Ed, America's leading seller of hardware and software to students. Select from a wide variety of software programs and purchase all of your required software online - at a student discount.