Baking & Pastry
Course ListingBaking & Pastry
Associate of Science
Published June 1, 2016
Required cooking courses cannot be completed online
Student Learning Outcomes
See ge.artinstitutes.edu/programoffering/366 for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, salary data, alumni success, and other important info.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will have the opportunity to:
- Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures.
- Prepare standardized recipes using a variety of cooking, baking and pastry techniques as well as appropriate equipment and tools.
- Produce various baked goods and a variety of international and classical pastries and desserts using basic as well as advanced techniques, which meet industry quality standards.
- Design, produce, assemble and decorate display and wedding cakes using various finishing methods which meet industry quality standards.
- Describe and perform tasks related to common business practices within the foodservice industry including inventory, menu planning, cost control and food purchasing.
Program CoursesPROGRAM COURSES
CUL107 Concepts & Theories of Culinary Techniques
CUL110 Fundamentals of Classical Techniques
CUL115 American Regional Cuisine
CUL128 Introduction to Pastry Techniques & Dessert Artistry
CUL206 Sustainable Purchasing & Controlling Costs
CUL207 Management by Menu
CUL218 Management, Supervision, & Career Development
CUL219 Food & Beverage Operations Management
CUL220 Classical European Cuisines
CUL230 Á la Carte Kitchen & Dining Room Service
CUL241 Artisan Breads & Baking Production
CUL242 European Cakes & Tortes
CUL251 Advanced Patisserie & Display Cakes
CUL271 Chocolate, Confections & Centerpieces
LIBERAL STUDIES COURSES
COM101 Communication for College & Career Success
ENG110 English Composition
HUM201 Historical & Political Issues
HUM290 Liberal Studies Capstone
MTH105 College Algebra
SCI156 Nutritional Science
Credits Required 20
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION 90
Program ElectivesLIBERAL STUDIES ELECTIVES
Credits Required 4
Note: The Art Institute of Las Vegas reserves the right to alter the sequencing of classes. Some courses are offered on a rotating basis. Students should consult their Academic Advisors and/or Department Chair when creating their course schedules to ensure they are following the recommended sequence. Students must meet all co/prerequisites for courses.