The Fashion Retailing Diploma program is designed to teach students how to use their combined creative and business skills to display, market, and sell fashion merchandise. Students will have the opportunity to learn to effectively understand and meet the customer’s needs, and ultimately encourage sales. This is accomplished by having a keen awareness to the changing needs of the consumer, learning how to identify and predict new style trends, and by being able to conceptualize and promote fashion displays and sales campaigns. Individuals in fashion retailing will have the opportunity to learn how to evaluate apparel construction, identify appropriate characteristics and uses of different textiles. They will also have the opportunity to gain knowledge of consumer behavior, retail operations, visual merchandising, the larger marketplace, and business skills.
The mission of the diploma program in Fashion Retailing is to prepare students to seek entry level positions in the field of fashion retailing. The program is intended for students who have a background in fashion and are interested in developing retail management and business skills, or who are preparing for a career in fashion retailing in boutiques, specialty stores, national department stores, and discount chains. Students primarily focus on retail sales, management, operations, fashion trends, and promotion.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will have the opportunity to:
• Technology - Graduates demonstrate proficiency in current industry technology and software related to business and marketing.
• Marketing - Graduates demonstrate knowledge of the four elements of marketing: product, place, promotion, and price.
• Visual Merchandising - Graduates demonstrate the knowledge of visual merchandising as a communication tool.
• Professionalism - Graduates apply and articulate professional standards and business concepts related to retail and fashion industries.
• Branding - Graduates demonstrate awareness of product attributes, benefits, and consumer beliefs and values.
To receive a Diploma in Fashion Retailing, students must: receive a passing grade or credit for all required coursework; earn a minimum of 48 quarter credits; achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher; meet portfolio or other requirements as outlined by the program; and satisfy all financial obligations as related to your program of study.